Interns are a critical part of the World Affairs Council; they contribute to its mission while gaining hands-on work experience. Candidates can choose from one to five types of internships described here.
The World Affairs Council expects interns to:
- Be committed to the mission of the World Affairs Council.
- Have goals for their internship and to seek ways to meet these goals.
- Be informed about projects they are working on and general World Affairs Council activities.
- Be detail-oriented in their work in such a way that the supervisor and other interns can continue the project.
- Attend and provide assistance at between four and five events during an average internship time period of three months. Attendance is expected at approximately one event per month.
- Attend meetings appropriate to the intern’s work (as necessary).
What interns can expect from their World Affairs Council Internship:
- To be trained in all World Affairs Council operating systems and receive an internship manual that provides details regarding day to day operations and program management
- To experience working in a small, non-profit organization involved in promoting international understanding
- To receive mentoring in the achievement of their goals
- To have access to internationally-engaged business leaders, organizations, and institutions in Greater Seattle
- To have the opportunity to complete projects that can be used in a work portfolio or for credit
- A three-month commitment of 12-15 in-office hours each week (a six or nine-month commitment is preferred)
- An interest in world affairs
- Fluent written and conversational English
- Practical experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Publisher, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Professional attire and demeanor
- Excellent time management, organization and attention to detail
Program Dates and Application Deadlines:
- Fall Quarter internships begin October 1st, and applications are due September 15th.
- Winter Quarter internships begin January 15th, and applications are due January 1st.
- Spring Quarter internships begin April 1st, and applications are due March 15th.
- Summer Quarter internships begin July 1st, and applications are due June 15th.
For more information about internships, consult the Frequently Asked Questions and Internship Positions pages. Download our Spring 2013 Intern Recruitment Flyer here.