Program Dates and Application Deadlines:
- Fall quarter internships begin in September, and applications are due August 26, 2016.
- Winter quarter internships begin in January, or possibly December, and applications are due November 18, 2016.
- Spring quarter internships begin in March, and applications are due March 3, 2017.
- Summer quarter internships begin in May or June. Applications are due May 19, 2017 at the latest. Applicants whose schools let out earlier in May are encouraged to submit their applications earlier.
Click Here for our application page.
Community Programs: Event Logistics & Marketing
Community Programs interns assist in coordinating all aspects of World Affairs Council events. Interns will work with the Community Events Coordinator in researching and planning stages, as well as day-of logistics for all World Affairs Council public events. Events include lectures, panel discussions, town-hall meetings, discussion groups, trivia nights, and networking receptions.
- Coordinating event logistics including developing outreach strategies, booking venues, and overseeing details of event production, event registration, and speaker correspondence.
- Researching and proposing ideas for new programs.
- Serving as point person for volunteers at events.
- Attending Community and Global Classroom programs and facilitating event implementation.
- Promoting and publicizing World Affairs Council programs by researching new marketing techniques and helping with placement of advertisements, flyer distribution, and collaboration with local organizations.
Global Classroom: Outreach to K-12 teachers and students
Global Classroom connects teachers and students with international resources, ideas and people. Intern responsibilities may include: drafting bi-weekly, electronic newsletters; performing extensive research to prepare teacher resource packets on various global topics; assistance at professional development programs; and much more. Interns will learn about the nonprofit world, education for global citizenship, and outreach strategies.
Tasks assigned to various GC interns include:
- Researching curriculum and resources to supplement professional development programs for educators
- Attending Global Classroom programs to assist with registration and other logistical event tasks
- Drafting biweekly e-mail newsletters for teachers and students
- Using e-mail, phone, and Facebook for outreach to high school students who have attended Global Classroom’s Global Youth Leadership Initiative and providing individualized assistance to those students with their school-based global awareness projects
- Assisting with logistics for the World Citizen Essay Contest
- Contributing to the World Affairs Council website blog
- Volunteering at World Affairs Council Community Programs and various other World Affairs Council events.
- Assisting with special projects as needed, such as the Global Education and Engagement (GLEE) program for high school refugee students
- Maintaining Global Classroom contacts in the Salesforce database
International Visitor Program: Research, Writing & Program Planning
The International Visitor Program (IVP) coordinates professional programs for State Department-sponsored international delegates visiting the Puget Sound region. Interns support the IVP team by researching, writing and editing proposals and itineraries for upcoming projects. Benefits include networking opportunities, learning about organizations across all fields in the greater Seattle area, experience in the nonprofit sector, and the development of professional skills in international education and exchange.
- Accompanying international visitors to meetings with local professional resources.
- Researching local resources and drafting proposals for upcoming programs.
- Compiling and editing visitor itineraries.
- Preparing and assembling welcome packets and programs.
- Producing marketing materials including the monthly IVP enewsletter.
- Contributing to the IVP Blog by writing and uploading reports about meetings with international visitors.
- Maintaining the IVP database.
- Supporting the World Affairs Council with daily operations.
- Contributing to the World Affairs Council blog.
Communications: Event Marketing, Branding, Graphic Design, Page Layout, Social Media, Video Production, Photography, Messaging, Internal and External Communications
Communications interns provide internal and external communications support for the World Affairs Council, including marketing/outreach for all events, media relations, and speaker and donor communications. Interns work with the World Affairs Council Communications Coordinator. Interns will learn about marketing design, messaging, social media, outreach strategies, and professional communications, as well as a wide variety of other areas that might fall under the general communications aegis.
- Drafting marketing language for upcoming events.
- Working with staff to keep track of, and post to, social media, including Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Contributing to the World Affairs Council blog.
- Video and/or audio recording events, speakers, visitors, and others.
- Interacting with other programs at the World Affairs Council, ensuring their integration into the brand and marketing of their events.
- Drafting press releases and developing press materials.
- Monitoring press and social media relevant to the World Affairs Council.
- Drafting electronic event announcements and flyers.
Development: Donor and Member Relations
Development interns support and learn about donor and community engagement tactics with the World Affairs Council, a membership organization dedicated to educating and involving the community in global issues. Interns will be part of creating an excellent customer experience for donors and members of the Council.
- Preparing prompt and professional correspondence.
- Executing communications projects such as online newsletters and updates.
- Maintaining donor records and creating and running reports in SalesForce database.
- Supporting staff in preparation and execution of donor and member events.