Community Programs brings the informed perspectives of international experts and renowned political figures to greater Seattle. Events include lectures, panel discussions, town-hall meetings, discussion groups, trivia nights, and networking events. World Affairs Council members receive reduced rates on admission to Community Programs as well as special invitations to high-level receptions and intimate meetings with top policymakers. World Affairs Council event sponsors receive visibility and promotional benefits to event audiences in addition to exclusive access to speakers and leaders.
View our calendar for upcoming events. See a list of past community events here.
Global Leadership Series
The World Affairs Council’s Global Leadership Series brings members of the Greater Seattle community together with senior diplomatic, political, cultural, and thought leaders, including current and former heads of state. The Series also provides a forum for leading innovators who have improved or revolutionized global perspectives and practices. Past Global Leadership Series speakers include President of Zambia Levy Mwanawasa; President of Latvia Valdis Zatlers; General David Petraeus; Nobel Laureate Economist and New York Times Op-Ed Columnist Paul Krugman; two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, author, and New York Times Editorial Columnist Nicholas Kristof; and Economist and United Nations Special Advisor Jeffrey Sachs.
Other World Affairs Council notable speakers include:
- Mark Suzman, Chief Strategy Officer and President of Global Policy and Advocacy, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, 2018
- Kirsti Kauppi, Ambassador of Finland to the United States, 2017
- Jalaa’ Abdelwahab, Deputy Director of global polio team, UNICEF, 2017
- Dirk Wouters, Ambassador of Belgium to the United States, 2017
- Dan Russell, President & CEO of U.S.-Russia Business Council and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, 2017
- Suzi LeVine, Ambassador of the United States to Switzerland and Lichtenstein, 2016
- David MacNaughton, Ambassador of Canada to the United States, 2016
- Admiral Michael S. Rogers, Commander of the U.S. Cyber Command, 2016
- Juan Carlos Pinzón, Ambassador of Colombia to the United States, 2016
- Aaron S. Williams, Peace Corps Director, 2010
- Dr. James Zogby, Author and Founder of the American Arab Institute (AAI), 2010
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Author and Resident Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, 2010
- Ray Suarez, Senior Correspondent, PBS NewsHour, 2010
- Ban Ki-Moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations, 2009
- Václav Klaus, President of Czech Republic, 2008
- Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Laureate and Microfinance Expert, 2008
- Senator John McCain, United States Senator, 2007
- Prince Turki Al Faisal, Former Saudi Ambassador to the United States, 2006
- Hans Blix, former head of the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission, 2004
- Condoleezza Rice, United States Secretary of State, 2004
- Senator Dianne Feinstein, United States Senator, 2004
- George Soros, Celebrated Author and Venture Capitalist, 2003
- Robert Gates, Current Secretary of Defense and Former Director of the C.I.A., 2003
- Naomi Klein, Celebrated Author and Activist, 2003
For more information about Community Programs, please contact Nate Ren, Community Events Coordinator, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (206) 441-5910 ext 312.