Homestay Program for International Visitors
Are you interested in expanding your world? We provide innovative exchange programs for professional and youth leaders from around the world. These programs can include a homestay component to enrich the intercultural experience of their program by allowing these leaders to become more deeply immersed in our local culture. They are also a unique opportunity for host families to learn from, and form a long-lasting connection with an individual from a different country without even leaving Seattle! These programs are sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
Now Accepting Host Family Applications For:
Mexican Youth Leadership Program: July 17-29, 2018
Iraqi Youth Leadership Program: August 5-19, 2018
Ready to Host? Apply Here!
Application Deadline: May 25, 2018
- They speak English and are high school juniors and seniors.
- They have been competitively selected for this program based on leadership abilities, community involvement, and academic performance.
- They will participate in a program organized by the World Affairs Council during the day with the evenings & weekends open to explore Seattle and experience the daily routine of host families.
- They can take public transportation independently to/from the daily meeting spot at the World Affairs Council office downtown.
- They will be provided bus passes, cell phones, and lunch on programming days.
- This is a volunteer opportunity.
- Hosts are asked to treat guests as part of the family.
- A private room with an individual bed and most meals are required.
- Families or individuals can host two guests, but they must have separate beds.
- Interested hosts must complete all application requirements.
- The World Affairs Council will provide group airport transportation to and from a downtown location and 24-hour staff support.
Thank You to our Host Family Community!
Out international youth programs would not have been possible without our incredibly supportive and welcoming host family community! A warm thank you from us all for your time and investment in these students’ lives.
Take 1:31 to enjoy the following video, sharing memories and highlights from an unforgettable summer!
Recent Overnight Hosting opportunities have included youth leaders from Brazil, Mexico, Iraq, the Middle East and North Africa, Japan, South Korea, and Cuba, as well as journalists from Ukraine and entrepreneurs from Mongolia. During their time in Seattle, these participants explored topics such as:
- Accountable Governance
- NGO Development
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Conflict Resolution
- Community Building
- Civic Engagement
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Women’s Empowerment