Young Professionals International Network
The World Affairs Council’s Young Professional International Network (YPIN) brings together a diverse group of young people with a shared passion for the world around us. Become a Member Now!
YPIN occupies a unique niche in Seattle’s “young professional” scene, bringing together a diverse group of young people with a shared passion for the world around us. We host a wide range of social and networking events in & around Seattle – all with an international flavor attracting an eclectic crowd with a wide range of backgrounds and opinions. Recent events have included:
- Socratic Seminars: Socratic Seminars aren’t for telling you the answers; rather they provide a discussion space to explore the questions. It is a moderated discussion around top issues of the day in true dialectic method. Articles highlighting viewpoints on both sides of an argument are provided as suggested reading, although participants are encouraged to participate even if armed only with their opinions.
- French Tables: Venez nous joindre pour practiquer votre Français dans l’atmosphère charmante d’un café avec d’autres francophones—n’oubliez pas d’inviter vos amis! Join our French discussion group with other francophones. We’re always happy to meet new faces, so bring your friends!
- Networking Events: We host regular networking events located at casual venues around the city. These events are meant to bring together like-minded young professionals that would like to engage in intellectual conversation, meet some new people, or just kick back with a drink with other YPIN member and non-members.
- Global Leader Dinner: The YPIN Global Leader Dinner Series is designed to bring together accomplished global leaders with YPIN members for intimate discussions about global industries and critical international issues. Upcoming speakers include accomplished professionals and leaders from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Starbucks, and Amazon.
- Cocktails and Camaraderie: Cocktails and Camaraderie was a whiskey tasting event at Tommy Gun in Capitol Hill. Guests got to choose from a handcrafted flights of rye, scotch or bourbon from around the world. Light appetizers and a great conversation with new and old YPINers was included!
- Afro-Optimism: Afro-Optimism was an event meant to bring forth a positive outlook on Africa, going beyond the current stereotypes and misconceptions. Through a panel of entrepreneurs and change makers, YPIN shed light on the continent’s economic growth and various initiatives taking place that connect various African countries to the rest of the world.
If there are particular events you’d like to see, please send an e-mail to YPIN.
Want to get more involved?
Become a Member Now!
We are led by an all-volunteer board, supported by World Affairs Council staff, that meets every month to plan and organize events. The YPIN Board is always very happy to hear new ideas and we want to provide events members will find exciting. You can meet us here: Meet the 2012-2013 board! YPIN opens the application process and reviews potential new board members every summer. Check the World Affairs Council calendar for upcoming YPIN events and watch the World Affairs Council blog for any YPIN announcements.
Follow YPIN on
YPIN is a volunteer-based group and welcomes ideas and action from people like you! Help make future YPIN events successful: suggest ideas, invite event speakers/hosts, plan logistics, secure venues, spread the word with our marketing team, co-present an event with your favorite international organization, or simply volunteer at the event itself and receive free admission.