The Experiment Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab | Spring 2021
January 8th, 2021
ABOUT THE EXPERIMENT DIGITAL: STEAM DISCOVERY LAB
The Experiment Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab will bring together high school students from across the U.S. and Egypt to explore youth leadership and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math). This fully funded (free!) virtual experience is modeled on The Experiment Digital, a pioneer in online exchange programming.
Students who participate in The Experiment Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab will:
• Develop their leadership and intercultural communications skills;
• Gain hands-on experience in STEAM subjects;
• Learn how to implement STEAM-based projects in their communities; and
• Build mutual understanding between youth from different cultures.
The Experiment Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab will apply World Learning’s years of experience supporting STEM secondary education in Egypt. A team of STEM experts in the U.S. and Egypt will facilitate online experiential learning activities, which will be tailored to accommodate students with different levels of STEAM experience and proficiency.
Participants who successfully complete the program will receive an official certificate, access to the U.S. Department of State’s International Alumni Network, unique project funding opportunities from the U.S. Department of State, and a $400 scholarship for a summer 2022 program abroad with The Experiment in International Living.
The program runs from February 8 to March 21, 2021. Students will be expected to dedicate 3-4 hours per week to program activities and assignments.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with a priority admissions deadline of December 10, 2020, and a final admissions deadline of January 8, 2021. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application process. Visit experiment.org/digital-steam for more information on how to apply.
You are eligible if you:
• Are between the ages of 14–19 years old
• Currently enrolled in or have not yet completed high school
• Reside in the United States or Egypt
• Have basic English language competency
• Have regular access to the Internet
• Can devote three to four hours each week to the program
• Are interested in STEAM-focused programming (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math)
• Fully complete the application for admission and demonstrate motivation to complete the program.
• Explore robotics engineering and programming
• Study electricity, electronic devices, and controlled systems through hands-on applications
• Write and draw to reflect on your learning throughout the program
• Develop a self-portrait using mathematics and chemistry
• For advanced participants, create an avatar while improving your creative thinking, analytical abilities, and problem-solving skills
• Share your perspectives and read what others have to say about stereotypes
• Discuss power dynamics in your community with your peers through a video call
• Identify a global STEM problem (e.g. pollution) in the U.S. and Egypt and explore ways to solve it using STEM
• Watch videos about culture and tradition in Egypt and the U.S.
The Experiment Digital is supported by the Stevens Initiative, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, with funding provided by the U.S. government, and is administered by the Aspen Institute. The Stevens Initiative is also supported by the Bezos Family Foundation and the governments of Morocco and the United Arab Emirates. The Experiment Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab is powered by the Boeing-funded STEM Hub in Egypt.
UPCOMING INFORMATION SESSIONS
- December 8th from 5:00 - 6:00 PM PST. The focus of this webinar will be on The Experiment: Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab (winter 2021). Recent alumni join to answer questions. Register now or join when it’s time here.
- January 5th from 3:00 - 4:30 PM PST. The focus of this webinar will be on The Experiment: Digital: STEAM Discovery Lab (winter 2021). Recent alumni join to answer questions. Register now or join us when it’s time here.