Interns are a critical part of the World Affairs Council; they contribute to its mission while gaining hands-on work experience.
The World Affairs Council expects interns to:
- Be committed to the mission of the World Affairs Council.
- Have goals for their internship and to seek ways to meet these goals.
- Be informed about projects they are working on and general World Affairs Council activities.
- Be detail-oriented in their work in such a way that the supervisor and other interns can continue the project.
- Attend and provide assistance at between four and five events during an average internship time period of six months.
What interns can expect from their World Affairs Council Internship:
- To be trained in all World Affairs Council operating systems and receive an orientation that provides details regarding day to day operations and program management
- To experience working in a small, non-profit organization involved in promoting international understanding
- To receive mentoring in the achievement of their goals
- To have access to internationally-engaged business leaders, organizations, and institutions in Greater Seattle
- To have the opportunity to complete projects that can be used in a work portfolio or for credit
- A minimum twelve-week commitment of 12-15 in-office hours each week (a six or nine-month commitment is strongly preferred)
- An interest in world affairs
- Fluent written and conversational English
- Practical experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Publisher, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Professional attire and demeanor
- Excellent time management, organization, and attention to detail
Program Dates and Application Deadlines:
- Fall quarter internships begin in September, and applications are due August 4, 2017. Deadline extended: September 1, 2017.
- Winter quarter internships begin in January, or possibly December, and applications are due November 17, 2017.
- Spring and summer quarter internships begin in either April, May, or June. Applications are due April 4, 2017.
Apply to Become an Intern. Click Here!
For more information about internships, consult the Frequently Asked Questions and Internship Positions pages.